Python Training FAQ's
- Course Information
- Can I attend class without registering?
- Are there any prerequisites?
- What is provided with registration?
- What should I bring?
- Python 2 or 3?
- Why should I do private training when I can just attend your public course?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- If I do not have a Paypal account, can I still pay by credit card?
- How do I submit a Credit Card payment?
- If I forgot to select the credit card payment option during registration and I want to pay by credit card, what should I do?
- How do I pay if I am not from the US?
- Can I get a refund if I have to cancel?
- Can somebody else use my credit?
- Are there any course discounts available?
- How do I get to the venue?
- Are travel or meal costs covered with tuition?
- When should I make travel arrangements?
- Is there is a discount if staying at the venue?
- Can you tell me more about how to take public transit?
- What are some online resources for visiting the San Francisco Bay Area?
- Other Services
- Do you provide any consulting services other than education?
Can I attend class without registering?
Yes. But you must bring your payment (cashier check only) to the venue on the first day of the course. If there is still room available, you may register and join the class. However, be aware that you may not receive course materials on the first day as we only anticipate a few late enrollments.
Are there any prerequisites?
What is provided with registration?
You will receive the full set of course notes (230+ pages), all the handouts and lab exercises, and of course, your instructor's delivery of all content. Also, a copy of Core Python Programming will be provided for each student. All the lab exercises can be found in the book, and source code is available on the book's website.
What should I bring?
A laptop or notebook computer is required for the course. Don't forget your power and Ethernet cables and network card. There won't be Internet access during class, but you may wish to connect from your room. Also, if you have one, bring a USB drive to backup, archive, and/or share your work. If possible, try to have Python installed on your system before you arrive. (It's okay if you don't.) You may use any computer platform and operating system any Python 2.5 and newer.
- POSIX (Mac OS X, Linux, *BSD, etc.): should already be installed, otherwise you can get it from your package manager
- PCs/Windows: get and install the most recent 2.x MSI file or for a more complete installtion, ActivePython.
Python 2 or 3?
If you have existing Python software, it's best to get the latest 2.x release. If you don't not have any dependencies, you can get the latest Python 3 release. While the world has started to port to Python 3, most installations are still on 2.x. The class is mostly version-independent. For PC users who wish to try Python 3, here's the latest 3.x MSI file. To learn more about the status of Python 3, check out this talk Wesley gave in the recent past.
Why should I do private training when I can just attend your public course?
A company can reduce their overall training costs if there are enough registrations to hold the course on-site rather than flying an entire team in for a public course. There is also the advantage that it will be held in your facilities so the course can be customized to your Python projects.
What forms of payment do you accept?
- Personal, company, or cashiers checks
- Credit cards through Paypal only (more below)
- Approved Purchase Orders (with PO numbers)
- eCheck if you have a Paypal account
If I do not have a Paypal account, can I still pay by credit card?
Yes, you do not need an account with Paypal in order to pay with a credit card. Instead of logging into PayPal, you will just enter your CC information directly via their secure website.
How do I submit a Credit Card payment?
Select the credit card payment option when registering and you will be taken to a confirmation page where you will find a button that links directly to Paypal.
If I forgot to select the credit card payment option during registration and want to pay by credit card, what should I do?
Contact us to get a link that will take you to Paypal to submit your payment.
How do I pay if I am not from the US?
Paypal accepts credit card payments from select countries around the world. If you cannot or choose not to use a CC, you may pay by international cashiers check.
Can I get a refund if I have to cancel?
If you paid by check, you can receive a full refund if you cancel 60 days prior to the start of the course... after that, no money will be refunded but a credit will be held for you to take a class 12 months from the date the credit was issued. If you paid by credit card, you can get a refund in a similar time frame as described for check payments but it must happen before 60 days from when you charged your credit card... no refunds are possible within 60 days of the course nor 60 days after you charged your credit card -- the second part is PayPal's policy.
Can somebody else use my credit?
No, only you can use your credit within 12 months from the date the credit was issued.
Are there any course discounts available?
Yes, there are discounts available. However, they're only valid on courses whose fees exceed $1000 and cannot be combined with any other discounts.
- Students: Full-time college/university students get a 40% discount. You must be attending full-time at a valid educational institution and can prove it on school letterhead. University and/or vocational staff members and part-time students do NOT qualify for the discount. If eligible, just select the student box when registering.
- Financial Hardship: If you unemployed (and can prove it, such as most recent unemployment payment, etc.), you will receive the 40% discount. Just select the student checkbox when registering.
- Repeat Attendees: Repeat attendees get a 40% discount off the same course taken in the past. (If I don't remember you, you'll need to provide proof.) Just select the student checkbox when registering.
- Coupons: If you received a coupon code, enter it in the appropriate field on the registration form and the discount will be automatically applied if the coupon is still valid and available.
How do I get to the venue?
Maps and directions are available at the Staybridge Suites website. It is only 1 mile north of the airport and is the usual venue we use. When they're not available, we find another hotel closeby with similar features. Unless otherwise specified, this is where your course will be held. The Staybridge offers the following features/amenities:
- Locals: easy freeway access (101/280/380) with free parking plus public transit (see below)... easily accessible from all parts of the Bay Area.
- Visitors: free shuttle to/from the airport, free high-speed internet, free breakfast and occasional evening receptions; fully-equipped suites.
The other facility we use is the Holiday Inn Express in nearby Burlingame, 1 mile south of the airport. They offer the same amenities as the Staybridge. Locals can get maps and directions from their website or take BART into the airport to catch the free shuttle. CalTrain riders should bring a bike and get off at either the Millbrae station to the north or Burlingame station to the south. It is right off the 101 with free parking as well; 280 and 380 are closeby.
Are travel or meal costs covered with tuition?
You are responsible for travel and lodging arrangements as well as your meals. We will provide refreshments throughout the day however. For the Staybridge, there are many food and shopping choices within a 10-minute walk and plenty more in a 10-minute drive, while for the Holiday Inn Express, there are fewer choices for walking but much more within a short drive.
When should I make travel arrangements?
DO NOT make travel arrangements too early, as we are not responsible for already-incurred travel costs if a course must be cancelled. We will send a notification out when there are enough seats so that a course will proceed as scheduled. It is at this time (around a couple of weeks before the scheduled course date) when travel can be booked.
Is there is a discount if staying at the venue?
For the Staybridge, we have been informed there is a special discounted "Python Training" room rate. We are told this rate is not available online, and neither the national reservations agents nor the front desk have access to it. In order to receive the special rate, you must contact Paul Pascua directly by by email at Paul.Pascua@ihg.com or by phone at 650-452-1347 or 650-588-0770.
For the Holiday Inn Express, there is also a discounted "Python Training" room rate; it's also not available publicly. Please contact Juliann Stevens directly by by email at Jstevens@hotelpros.biz or by phone at 650-347-2381. If Juliann isn't in the office when you call, then ask for Mary Domingo instead as either can help you book a room.
Can you tell me more about how to take public transit?
For the Staybridge, the San Bruno BART station is nearly across the street from the hotel (-5 minute walk). For more info, including a trip planner, visit BART's website. The San Bruno CalTrain station is a bit further south... about a mile away. The walk should take about 15-20 minutes but a bike ride is even less (~8 minutes).
For the Holiday Inn Express, there is no nearby train service; however BART riders can take the train all the way to the San Francisco Airport where they can catch a hotel shuttle, a 5-minute ride to the venue. Shuttles run every half-hour between 4am and 1am daily. Note for CalTrain riders: trains no longer stop at the Broadway station (half-mile or 10-minute walk to the venue) on weekdays... the closest stop is now the main Burlingame station, which is a 1.5-mile or half-hour walk.
What are some online resources for visiting the San Francisco Bay Area?
- San Francisco official visitors site
- San Francisco entertainment
- Silicon Valley entertainment
- Where Magazine (SF Bay Area)
- SF Bay Area Transportation
- Only In San Francisco
- San Francisco Chronicle vistors page
- WikiTravel page
Do you provide any consulting services other than education?
Yes, I can provide general consulting to Python projects. Contact me and we can discuss your need and see if there is a match.